Based in Brasil
April 1st, 2019
Press / Business contact:
Origami Flight is a sidescrolling 2D shoot' em up where you control a paper airplane with a simple but challenging mission: to save the Origami World. Now you must beat 6 different stages with tons of enemies in order to save the Tsuru from the evil Origami Fox. Under the theme of "origami", the oriental art of folding paper, the game features a wide variety of objects and animals as characters, enemies and obstacles.
Airplanes, animals and magical creatures made of paper, scenarios made of chalk and other elements combine with a simple gameplay and a light and fun aesthetic. The game features increasing challenges that create a consistent gaming experience for both casual players and hardcore players.
It all starts when a 8-years-old boy decides to take a nap after folding a new paper airplane. As he falls asleep, he enters the Origami World. As soon as he enters this new world, an evil threat shows up in the shape of a Fox Origami. The Tsuru, the most traditional origami, are attacked and evil spreads corruption throughout the world. Now addressed as the Hero, he receives from the Wizard Origami the power to restore the world to its former and peaceful self.
Free the Tsuru, beat the Fox and save the world! Fly, you fool!
Release Date: April 1st, 2019
- Six challenging stages with paper and crayon aesthetics!
- Six different power-ups!
- Beat multiple enemies with a single Mega Shot and get a damage shield!
- Huge variety of enemies!
- Exciting soundtrack!
- You can also learn how to fold some of origami!
Origami Flight's history is not one of the happiest. The concept of the game was born in 2010, when a Computer Science freshman and a manga artist learned their first steps into game development. Then, they joined Whalesoft Entertainment, an starting indie game studio, which later on took Origami Flight as its main project. Due to changes in the team, the game was developed "thrice": at first, on its own game engine, with many Computer Science stuff; then, on Unity3D with a 2D plugin which didn't worked very well; and finally, Unity again with its new native 2D features - thank God. One can say that was some overwork for a simple freshman shmup game. But, it was a student's not so ambitious side project and all these (re)developments were done slowly over the years.But then...
Origami Flight was nominated for 5 categories at the SBGames 2015 (Brazillian Symposium of Digital Games and Entertainment): Best Audio, Best Visual, Best Game Design, Best WIP and Best Game. We won Best Visual. So, we thought, maybe we should invest in this game. Inexperience took its toll. The team took years and after almost having disassembled along the years, the game was finished in mid 2018. And here it is, maybe in a stubborn tentative of releasing a game with a pleasing original aesthetic, arcade-like simplistic mechanics and exciting guitar riffs. It took some time but it's done and we've learned more about life than about game development during all these years. Good or bad, we leave our little mark and prove that it was possible.
Origami Flight Trailer YouTube
Gameplay Trailer YouTube
There are far more images available for Origami Flight, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Winner in Best Visual." - SBGames, 12 November, 2015
- "Nomination for Best Audio." - SBGames, 12 November, 2015
- "Nomination for Best Game Design." - SBGames, 12 November, 2015
- "Nomination for Best WIP Game." - SBGames, 12 November, 2015
- "Nomination for Best Game." - SBGames, 12 November, 2015
- "紙飛行機が世界を救う横STG『Origami Flight』リリース―全てが折り紙の世界へ飛び立ち、折り鶴を救い出せ"
- いわし, GameSpark
- "Very interesting concept, good gameplay and soundtrack. Recommended to all shmupers.(Free Translation)"
- Clube da Navinha, Steam Curator
- "Origami Flight is an original shmup indie game with cute origami design. Classic gameplay (collect powerup, beat waves of enemies, obstacles and boss), a pleasant game."
- GamingGrandma, Steam Curator
Team & Repeating Collaborator
Director, Programmer, Game Designer
Art Director, Artist, Concept Artist
Programmer, Game Designer